Monday, January 19, 2015

The Real Reason

I have been working hard for the past year to represent students and help them receive a more relevant education that prepares them for the REAL world, and not just the fantasy world of school. I have noticed that teachers want change. The majority of teachers I have met have been completely "on board" with revolutionizing our education system. I have noticed something that is somewhat disheartening, though. It seems that too often administration and district leaders are too busy to take this "transforming education" concept seriously. They often listen and nod their heads, but do not seem poised to take immediate action.

In order to improve my "pitch" I have started mentioning the fact that the new student assessments (standardized tests) that are coming out are MUCH different than the old ones. While the old ones relied on the lower level skills such as recall, classifying, and identifying, the new ones will focus on higher level skills such as analyzing, investigating, and creating.  The strange thing, is that when I mention this, often administrators become more engaged in the conversation and begin to ask about strategies to deal with this.

I feel dirty when I take this angle, but whatever works.  If it helps equate to the change our students deserve, I will talk about the tests.

I do want to mention, however, that I do not care at all about the tests. I care about students, and preparing them to be successful in their futures.  I care about learning. I care about real feedback.

I do want to mention, though, that until we all unite and stand up against these tests, along with the many traditional or passed down practices that are holding back our students, we will not see change.  We need a strong voice advocating for change.  We do not need teachers' lounge conversations that amount to nothing.

Stop perpetuating a broken system.

*** I have worked with and know many administrators that are very progressive and working hard to fight for change.  Thank you!  This article is not talking about you.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please engage in the discussion. I would love to hear what you have to say!